Tier 4 Students and Working

There has been some confusion surrounding the UKBA's guidance on what type of employment a student can or cannot undertake.

Students are not meant to fill a full-time permanent vacancy but they can work full time during the vacation period and on completion of their course. Seems contradictory doesn't it? Well the UKBA have suggested some further guidance to clear that up:

  • A full-time permanent vacancy would cover any full-time post that is permanently on a companies staffing group.
  • What is and isn't full-time is dependent on the specific post on offer and not the contract type.
  • For example, a manager that is required in the office on a permanent basis would be a full-time permanent post, but an assistant or secretary to that manager required in the office to complete a particular project would not be, and a student can fill that post.

However, just to make it a little more complicated, casual work - such as bar work - would not be deemed a full-time permanent vacancy.

Whilst the student is awaiting a decision on an application to move from being a student to another category / employment route they must still comply with the above conditions until such time that application is approved and they are no longer a student.

If you have any questions relating to the above points, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We use cookies on this site to improve your experience. We only use anonymous cookies so we'll assume you are OK with this. Read our 'Extras' section for more details.