Legal Services. The Smart Way.

Fixed price visit visa applications.

Stacks Image 7

Paid Engagements Visitor


You may be able to get a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you’ve been invited to the UK as an expert in your profession. You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:

- are invited by a UK-based organisation or client
- want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- are over 18
- have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself
- can pay for your return or onward journey
- are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

How long can I stay in the UK on this visa?

You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month on a Permitted Paid Engagement visa.

When can I apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa?

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

What can I do whilst I am in the UK on a Permitted Paid Engagement visa?

On a Permitted Paid Engagement visa, you’re allowed to:

- be a student examiner or assessor
- take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you're invited by an education, arts or research organisation
- give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it's not a part-time or full-time role
- examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you're invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
- provide advocacy in a particular area of law
- take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
- take part in fashion modelling assignments
- You can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attend meetings

Is there anything I cannot do whilst I am in the UK?

You are not allowed to:

- access public funds
- do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa
- extend this visa or switch to another visa
- live in the UK for extended periods
- study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately

Which documents will I need to apply?

You will need to supply:

- a current passport or other valid travel identification - your passport must have a blank page for your visa
- proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
- details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
- a formal invitation from the UK-based organisation or authority you'll be paid by
- proof that the paid engagement relates to your expertise, qualifications and main job in your home country, for example a letter from your employer

You must provide extra documents if you’re an established arts, entertainment or sporting professional. You can provide any of the following:

- publications
- publicity material
- proof of awards
- media coverage and reviews
- proof of recent performances

Is there a cost?

Yes. It costs just under £100 to apply for this visa.

I had a very good discussion with Seraphus. They succeeded in making me feel better and less anxious about the whole process. Thank you for providing a service at a reasonable price, it provides peace of mind about what my time in this country will be.


Contact us

If you have any questions about our services or you would like to instruct us represent you with your application or appeal please get in contact with us now.

We use cookies on this site to improve your experience. We only use anonymous cookies so we'll assume you are OK with this. Read our 'Extras' section for more details.