Legal Services. The Smart Way.

Fixed price from the comfort of your own home.

Stacks Image 7

studying and working in the uk

To live and work in the UK, you will need a work permit and an employment visa, unless you are a permanent resident or British national. There are many types of work visas, depending on the length of your stay and the type of work you want to do. Some visas, such as student visas, permit working under certain conditions. The main categories of non-UK citizens allowed to work in the UK the following:

Points-Based System Workers: This is the main category under which non-EEA citizens can work in the UK, where employees are sponsored by their employer to receive a visa. Employers can find out more about sponsorship here.

Temporary Workers: seasonal workers, sportspeople, people undertaking internships or people who qualify for youth mobility visas can come to the UK as temporary workers with a Tier 5 visa.

Students: Students come to the UK primarily to study, not to work, with a Tier 4 visa. As a consequence, the general rule is that students cannot work full time during term-time, but may do so in vacations. The hours they can work will depend on the course they are undertaking.

4. Investors, Entrepreneurs and exceptionally talented individuals: these people can apply for Tier 1 visas such as the Global Talent Visa, the Investor Visa, or the Entrepreneur visa to come live and work in the UK.

Innovators and Start-Ups: under Appendix W of the Immigration Rules, people who seek to establish a business in the UK may qualify for an Innovator or Start-Up visa, if they fulfil all the requirements to do so.

6. Visitors: certain visitors, such as business visitors, permitted paid engagement visitors, prospective entrepreneurs, entertainers and sportspeople may all obtain short-term visas which allow them to do limited amounts of work, subject to certain conditions. These visas do not provide long-term employment.

7. Ancestry visas

8. Representative of an Overseas Business: These are foreign workers who will act as the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company or as an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.

You can contact us
here or send us a message on WhatsApp so that we can discuss your route to living and working in the UK.

If I could give Seraphus more than 5 stars I would. My complex immigration issue has been compounded by terrible legal advice from other lawyers. Seraphus went above and beyond to help me find a way forward and I’m truly grateful! I can honestly say that Seraphus is a genuine, and competent firm who will stand with you on your immigration issue - I strongly recommend them!


Contact us

If you have any questions about our services or you would like to instruct us to represent you with your application or appeal please get in contact with us now.

We use cookies on this site to improve your experience. We only use anonymous cookies so we'll assume you are OK with this. Read our 'Extras' section for more details.