When do you need a UK Student Visa? 

If you want to study in the UK, you’ll need to apply for a Student Visa (formerly known as Tier 4 (General) Student).
Following Brexit, both EEA and non-EEA nationals must meet two key requirements to be eligible to apply for a Student Visa:

  1. Obtaining an unconditional offer from a Home Office-sponsored education provider
  2. Receiving a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

UK Student Visa application requirements

If you want to apply for a Student Visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Acceptance into a UK Home Office-licensed educational institution.
  • Financial means to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).
  • English language proficiency to the required course level.
  • A Tuberculosis test result indicating that you are free from the disease.
  • Evidence of your academic qualifications.
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
  • Payment of the UK Student Visa fee.

The above requirements are demonstrated in a points-based system. If you meet these requirements, you will meet the 70 points total to be granted a Student Visa. 

For more information about UK Student Visa application requirements, book a consultation with us and we’ll be glad to talk you through the finer details.

We’re here to help you

When it comes to obtaining compassionate legal advice, Seraphus is your dedicated source of expert guidance.

We specialise in providing personalised support to help you navigate the complexities of the application process, ensuring a seamless and hassle-free experience.

Contact us today using the details below or book a consultation with us.

Phone: 020 8142 8211
WhatsApp: 07538 208 096
Email: info@seraphus.co.uk

Application checks

Need help checking an immigration application? We’ll make sure it’s thoroughly reviewed, and you are provided written feedback so you can perfect your application.

£299 + VAT 5 working days

Find out more

Video consultation

Get a one-off assessment of your situation and receive advice on next steps.

£99 + VAT 30 min

Find out more

UK Student Visa FAQs

  • Can I switch from a UK Student Visa to a different visa category?

    It is possible to switch from a UK Student Visa to another type of visa, provided you meet the specific eligibility criteria for the new visa category. The most common categories international students often switch to include:

    • Skilled Worker Visa
    • Graduate Route
    • Start-up and Innovator Visas
    • Global Talent Visa

    Remember that each visa category has its own eligibility criteria and application process. It’s crucial to review the latest guidelines and speak to us if you have any questions.

  • Can I work in the UK on a Student Visa?

    Yes, most students are allowed to work on a Student Visa in the UK, based on certain conditions such as:

    • Hours of work
    • Type of work
    • Where they work

    These conditions can vary and may change, so it’s essential to check the specific terms of your visa and stay up to date with the rules. If you’re unsure about your visa’s work conditions, reach out to us.

  • Can my family join me on a Student Visa?

    Yes, as an international student on a UK Student Visa, your dependents – usually your spouse/partner and your children under 18 – can apply to join you in the UK if certain conditions are met.

  • How long will the application take to be processed?

    If you apply for an application from outside the UK, it may take three to four weeks to be processed. If you make an application from inside the UK, it may take longer, about eight to twelve weeks.

  • What can I do if my UK Student Visa application is refused?

    If a Student Visa is refused, then—depending on the reasons for refusal—there are two options available: An administrative review or to re-apply.

    An administrative review is available if the Home Office made an administrative mistake when deciding to refuse your application, for example, if they did not consider the evidence you provided.

    If the Home Office processed your application properly but nevertheless refused your application, then it is likely that re-applying will be the best option. A second application will allow you to make the changes outlined in the refusal. If you are refused, it is recommended you speak to us to decide the best method of challenging the Home Office.

All Personal Immigration Services:

  • Personal legal representation

    Seraphus lawyers can represent you in your immigration case from start to finish whether preparing your application or submitting an appeal.

    Tailored price levels
    Learn more
  • Application checks

    Our team of experienced immigration lawyers will check your application and offer advice to you based on our experience of successful applications.

    Learn more
  • Video consultation

    Access legal advice from anywhere in the world via a 30-minute consultation with an immigration lawyer. Connect with us in a few simple steps.

    £99+VAT 30 mins
    Find out more

Our customers rate us highly on Trustpilot

  • “When its comes to Legal immigration advice, SERAPHUS are THE BEST.”


  • “Working with Beth has been a true pleasure from start to finish. Her profound knowledge of immigration law, coupled with her meticulous attention to detail, ensured that my case was handled with utmost precision. She gave clear and concise information and went above and beyond to ensure we were successful.”

    J Ahmad